The challenge was to provide ability to identify potential dependency outages of key systems.
When undertaking a Business Service Management review the company quickly became aware of a key challenge – gaining a clear view of the IT landscape estate wide including all the relationship dependencies between hardware and software and keeping this view up to date.
Many companies find it difficult to gain, and even more so to maintain, an accurate up to date view of the IT estate yet without this information businesses can find it difficult to effectively and efficiently plan for change and troubleshoot and fix issues when outages occur.
The business therefore identified a list of key objectives:
- Gain an accurate infrastructure view
- Improve compliance across the infrastructure
- Identify Business Service dependency for critical applications
- Enhance change control
TekWurx, in partnership with the organization, based the approach upon BMC Discovery – setting out to create a system that provided the automated, estate wide view of different technologies across hardware and software layers.
Prior to the BMC Discovery roll out, if the organization wanted an overview of the estate they needed to liaise with multiple teams and take data from various sources, spreadsheets and databases, which had been manually gathered and entered.
With BMC Discovery this data is now gathered automatically and regularly and presented back to the organization using the many in-built reports. The organization can now access estate wide inventory information that is always up to date.
Results which exceeded expectations.
- Automating business service views in Compuware Vantage has provided quick, up to date, accurate view of root causes when problems occur.
- An accurate up to date view of the infrastructure has helped identify configuration and performance issues, including single point of failures and provide planning input into IT projects.
- Accurate dependency and configuration data has improved the change management process enabling reliable prediction and management of change.
- Accurate configuration discovery has enabled IT policies to be implemented and followed – minimizing risk and improving compliance and standardization.