In our experience, upgrading version 7 Control-M/Agent on Linux to version 9 Control-M/Agent on Linux upgrades to 32-bit only and not the 64-bit version that you get with a fresh install of version 9.
Although the 32-bit version still works OK, if at a later date you want to install Application Plug-ins (AKA control modules) such as Control-M for Hadoop or Control-M for PeopleSoft then you have to have the 64-bit version of the Agent.
The way to do this is a full uninstall followed by an install as follows:
If Application Plug-ins are already installed on the Agent, then these should be copied somewhere safe as the Agent uninstall will also uninstall the Plug-ins. In addition, make a backup of the /ctm/data & /ctm/cm directories and save the .rchrc from the Control-M/Agent home directory.
To uninstall the Agent:
- Stop the Agent
- In the Agent home directory go to /BMCINSTALL/uninstall/DRKAI.7.0.00 and run ./uninstall.sh as the Agent user
- The Agent and any Plug-ins will be uninstalled
To install the new Agent:
- Mount the relevant ios file that you have downloaded from the BMC downloads website
- Change directory to the Control-M/Agent home directory
- As root run the setup.sh script from the mounted ios file
- Enter all the relevant details
- When complete, logout of the server then log back in
- As the Agent user run ag_diag_comm to check connectivity to the Control-M/Server & resolve any issues
Next, install the latest fixpack.
- Download the latest fixpack from the BMC download website
- Stop the Agent and install the fixpack as the Agent user
- Once complete, restart the agent and rerun ag_diag_comm and check for any issues.
- Compare the current .rchrc file with the one saved earlier and make any necessary changes.
If any Application Plug-ins were previously installed:
- Download the latest versions from the BMC downloads website
- Install and apply fixpacks
- Once complete, copy any account files from the Application Plug-ins saved earlier to the new ones
- Run Control-M test jobs to ensure that all is working correctly.
When everything has been running correctly for a few days and you are satisfied that there are no issues then tidy up the files that you saved.